- Most Watched Commercials Aired During Lost Season Finale and 2008 U.S. Open
- Viewers Fast-Forwarding Network Promos at High Rate, Just Like Paid Advertisements; Some Promos Skipped More Than Others, Just Like Paid Advertisements -
ALVISO, Calif., Aug 20, 2008 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX News Network/ --
TiVo Inc. (Nasdaq: TIVO), the creator of and a leader in advertising solutions and television services for digital video recorders (DVRs), today unveiled the Top Commercial and Program Rankings for June 2008, as viewed by TiVo(R) service subscribers.
"June is always an unusual month in the Broadcast calendar because most programming is re-runs and summer fare," said Todd Juenger, Vice President & General Manager, TiVo Audience Research & Measurement. "However, there are still a few big network program finales that dominate the ratings, such as the 2-hour finale of Lost, which lead the top commercials for both Total Viewership and Timeshifted Viewership. Interestingly, U.S. Open Final (golf) also placed high in Total Viewership, but is nowhere to be found on the Timeshifted Viewership, as the vast majority of viewing occurred live."
Juenger continued, "What is
particularly impressive is that every commercial in the Top 10 for Timeshifted viewing aired during the Lost season finale -- in fact, the top 86 commercials for Timeshifted viewing aired during Lost. The rank order of the specific commercials continues to demonstrate the choices viewers are making about which commercials to watch. The top 5 spots in Timeshifted viewing were all for movies, with the highest spot getting a 7.7 Timeshifted rating. The lowest spot from this Lost episode got a 2.8 Timeshifted rating, approximately 64% lower than the audience of the highest rated spot."
June -- Top Commercials v. Top Programs (Total Viewing)
Top Commercials - Total Viewing
Brand Program Date Rating
1. Sony Pictures Hancock Lost - ABC 29 - May 14.0
2. Universal Incredible Hulk Movie Lost - ABC 29 - May 12.4
3. Warner Brothers Dark Knight Lost - ABC 29 - May 12.1
4. 20th Century Fox The Happening Lost - ABC 29 - May 11.8
5. Nike Sneakers - Men U.S. Open Golf - NBC 15 - June 11.0
6. Walt Disney Wall-E Movie Lost - ABC 29 - May 10.9
7. MasterCard World Card U.S. Open Golf - NBC 15 - June 10.8
8. FedEx Dom U.S. Open Golf - NBC 15 - June 10.7
9. Verizon Wireless Service Lost - ABC 29 - May 10.6
10. Aleve Pain Relief Caplets U.S. Open Golf - NBC 15 - June 10.5
Top Programs - Total Viewing
Program Date Rating
1. Lost - ABC 29 - May 18.2
2. U.S. Open Golf - NBC 15 - June 10.1
3. So You Think You Can Dance - FOX 11 -June 9.8
4. So You Think You Can Dance - FOX 18 - June 9.7
5. So You Think You Can Dance - FOX 5 - June 9.3
6. So You Think You Can Dance - FOX 4 - June 8.9
7. So You Think You Can Dance - FOX 28 - May 8.9
8. So You Think You Can Dance - FOX 25 - June 8.8
9. So You Think You Can Dance - FOX 12 - June 8.6
10. So You Think You Can Dance - FOX 19 - June 8.3
June -- Top Commercials v. Top Programs (Timeshifted Viewing)
Top Commercials - Timeshifted Viewing
Brand Program Date Rating
1. Sony Pictures Hancock Movie Lost - ABC 29-May 7.7
2. Warner Bros Dark Knight Movie Lost - ABC 29-May 7.2
3. 20th Century Fox Happening Movie Lost - ABC 29-May 7.0
4. Universal Incredible Hulk Movie Lost - ABC 29-May 6.8
5. Walt Disney Wall-E Movie Lost - ABC 29-May 5.8
6. American Express Credit Card Lost - ABC 29-May 5.0
7. iTunes.Com Music Store Online Lost - ABC 29-May 4.8
8. Verizon Wireless Service Lost - ABC 29-May 4.7
9. Abreva Pump Cold Lost - ABC 29-May 4.6
10. Lexus Autos Lost - ABC 29-May 4.1
Top Programs - Timeshifted Viewing
Program Date Rating
1. Lost - ABC 29-May 12.8
2. So You Think You Can Dance-FOX 11-June 6.3
3. So You Think You Can Dance-FOX 18-June 6.1
4. So You Think You Can Dance-FOX 5-June 6.1
5. So You Think You Can Dance-FOX 5-June 5.7
6. So You Think You Can Dance-FOX 28-May 5.5
7. So You Think You Can Dance-FOX 12-June 5.4
8. So You Think You Can Dance-FOX 4-June 5.3
9. So You Think You Can Dance-FOX 29-May 5.2
10. Hell's Kitchen-FOX 3-June 5.2
June - Least Fast-Forwarded Brand Rankings
Least Fast-Forwarded Brand Ranking* Select Cable & Broadcast Networks***
Broadcast Networks** - Primetime - Primetime
1. Universal Hellboy /Golden 1. NCAA: National Collegiate
Army Movie Athletic Association
2. Lincoln Autos 2. American Petroleum Inst
3. General Mills Cheerios Cereal 3. Freetriple.Com Credit Report
4. Warner Bros Dark Knight Movie 4. Dicks Sporting Goods
5. Yoplait Yogurt 5. UBS Investment Bank Consumer Svc
6. Allstate Auto Insurance 6. Meineke Car Care Center
7. Coppertone Sport Sunscreen 7. CITGO Petroleum Corp Cp
8. Best Buy Elect 8. Heineken Beer
9. Reclast Rx 9. IBM Corp Cp
10. Ace Hardware Stores 10. Air Heads Pops Candy
* Minimum 20 spots
** ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX
*** 31 networks considered: A&E, AMC, Animal, BET, Bravo, CNBC, CNN,
Comedy, Court (TruTV), Discovery, E!, ESPN, ESPN2, ABC Family, FNC,
Food, FX, HGTV, Lifetime, MSNBC, MTV, Nickelodeon, Oxygen, SciFi,
Spike, TBS, TNT, Toon, Toon Disney, USA, VH1
-- Once again, a movie trailer was the least fast-forwarded advertisement
-- Coppertone made the list at the number 7 spot, a sure sign of the
-- The American Petroleum Institute and CITGO Petroleum both made the
list -- more evidence that the price of gas is top of mind.
-- Meineke made the list for the third consecutive month.
Research data for June also revealed that viewers fast-forwarded through network promos at high rates, just like paid advertisements, although the fast-forwarding was generally less frequent -- likely because network promos often have more advantageous pod positions, are shorter than paid advertising, and are perceived by some viewers as program content not paid advertising. As displayed in the table below, there were significant differences in the amount of fast-forwarding among networks by Timeshifted viewers, though fast-forwarding was less prevalent with cable networks.
June -- Primetime Promo Spots: Broadcast vs. Cable Networks
% Fast % Fast
Broadcast Timeshifted Timeshifted
Rank Network Viewers) Rank Cable Network viewers)
1. NBC 44% 1. ESPN 22%
2. CW 45% 2. CNN 25%
3. CBS 47% 3. Comedy Central 27%
4. ABC 54% 4. Nickelodeon 28%
5. FOX 63% 5. Toon Disney 28%
June 2008 Power||Watch(TM) Ratings Service Highlights
The Power||Watch(TM) ratings service (which uses an opt-in panel of volunteers to generate behavioral data with demographic segmentations), suggests that certain population segments are more inclined to fast-forward through promotions for certain programs -- and also less likely to ultimately watch those programs. For example:
-- Households with adults between the ages of 18-34 were more likely to
fast-forward through promos for, and less likely to watch, Are You
Smarter Than a 5th Grader compared to households with adults over 50.
-- Conversely, households with adults between the ages of 18-34 were less
likely to fast-forward through promos for, and more likely to watch,
So You Think You Can Dance, compared with households with adults over
The Stop||Watch(TM) ratings service, introduced in February 2007, is offered via an easily sortable database of ratings for nationally run programs and advertisements from cable and broadcast networks, with data going back to September 2006. The service now tracks ratings for 51 nationally distributed, ad supported networks (up from 15), and covers all programming and commercials aired from 5:00am - 11:30pm (up from Daytime and Primetime only), providing subscribers with an even greater sample of audience behavioral data.
TiVo's Power||Watch(TM) ratings service provides advertisers access to second-by-second program and commercial ratings data, with demographic segmentations, for 20,000 households who have volunteered to take part in a "passive" consumer panel. The Power||Watch(TM) ratings service provides subscribers the ability to look at TV viewing broken down by
standard household demographics including income, geography, ethnicity, number of children and tenure of TiVo subscriber, among others. TiVo can associate household data with the viewership data then produce program and commercial viewership reports by aggregate demographic and behavioral audience groups. All reports prepared by TiVo using this data are anonymous.
Subscribers to TiVo's Stop||Watch(TM) ratings service and Power||Watch(TM) ratings service include: Omnicom Media Group, NBC Universal, CBS Corporation, The Interpublic Group, Starcom, Carat USA, MPMA, Crispin Porter + Bogusky, Media IQ and Euro RSCG New York.
TiVo Stop||Watch(TM) ratings service data is derived from a daily, aggregate, anonymous, stratified random sample of 20,000 TiVo units -- from which the second-by-second "clickstream" of behavior and viewership is collected and assessed. The Stop||Watch(TM)
ratings service includes data for: Total Viewing, Live Viewing, Timeshifted Viewing (less than 1 hour, 1-6 hours, 6-24 hours, 24-48 hours, 48-72 hours, 2-7 day, and 7-14 day delay and C3), Program Ratings, Commercial Ratings and a Commercial Viewership Index. The Stop||Watch(TM) service uses ad occurrence data from TNS Media Intelligence to identify commercial spots. For more information on the TiVo Stop||Watch(TM) ratings service, visit https://stopwatch.tivo.com.
About TiVo Inc.
Founded in 1997, TiVo (Nasdaq: TIVO - News) pioneered a brand new category of products with the development of the first commercially available digital video recorder (DVR). Sold through leading consumer electronic retailers and our website, TiVo has developed a brand which resonates boldly with consumers as providing a superior
television experience. Through agreements with leading satellite
and cable providers, TiVo also integrates its DVR service features into the set-top boxes of mass distributors. TiVo's DVR functionality and ease of use, with such features as Season Pass(TM) recordings and WishList(R) searches and TiVo KidZone, have elevated its popularity among consumers and have created a whole new way for viewers to watch television. With a continued investment in its patented technologies, TiVo is revolutionizing the way consumers watch and access home entertainment. Rapidly becoming the focal point of the digital living room, TiVo's DVR is at the center of experiencing new forms of content on the TV, such as broadband delivered video, music and photos. With innovative features, such as TiVoToGo(TM) transfers and online scheduling, TiVo is expanding the notion of consumers experiencing "TiVo, TV your way. (R)" The TiVo(R) service is also at the forefront of
providing innovative marketing solutions for the television industry, including a unique platform for advertisers and audience research measurement.
TiVo, 'TiVo, TV your way.', Season Pass, WishList, TiVoToGo, Stop||Watch, Power||Watch, and the TiVo Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of TiVo Inc. or its subsidiaries worldwide. (C) 2008 TiVo Inc. All rights reserved. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE TiVo Inc.